We're proud to announce our participation in Music Therapy Awareness Week February 27 to March 2, 2012. Music Therapy Awareness Week is intended to help educate the public how music therapy can benefit individuals in a wide variety of circumstances or settings.
We'll be celebrating the week by:
- Offering community presentations about the benefits and value of music therapy
- Highlighting the 12 full-time music therapists on staff at West Music locations
- Showcasing products designed for music therapists and the therapy setting
- Sharing daily blog posts from the staff therapists
- Offering special sales opportunities on music therapy products at West Music locations and on www.westmusic.com
In this installment, Jenny Denk--music therapist at West Music Piano Gallery in Urbandale--lets us in on her favorite instruments and products for her music therapy curriculum:
Remo Designer Festival Pre-Tuned Djembes
From Jenny: "This is a perfect sized drum for a travelling music therapist! The drum is easy to transport from one location to the next, and provides a nice sound that does not become overstimulating in a large or small group setting. It can be easily passed from one group member to another."
- Environmentally-friendly, Acousticon drum shell, made in the USA
- Proprietary Acousticon is made from 100% recycled wood fibers
- Ideal for educational, recreational, and wellness uses
- Manufactured with professional-quality Skyndeep synthetic, non-animal skin drumheads
- Pre-tuned and pitched for optimal tone
- Designed to perform at the same level or better than other drums in the same price range
- Equipped with a nylon shoulder strap
Latin Percussion LP359 Go-Jo Bag Shaker
From Jenny: "These instruments provide great tactile and auditory stimulation, and the adjustable handles make them easy to use for clients of varying abilities. I frequently use them to apply tactile stimulation rhythmically on a client’s arms in order to obtain and maintain attention, as well as increase stimulation. They can also be passed back and forth in a socialization activity."
- The world's only mutable shaker
- Designed in collaboration with Stephen Perkins and Joey Klaparda
- A basic rhythmic pulse can be created by simply opening and closing your hand around a Go-Jo Bag
- Put one in each hand and play them like maracas or shakers
- Slide the bags like an afuche or cabasa
- Smack them together for a unique percussive sound
- Toss one or more in time or attach them to your hands while playing congas to enhance the rhythm
- Adjustable strap makes it a perfect tool for music therapy.
ABOUT MUSIC THERAPY SERVICES AT WEST MUSIC
We believe in the therapeutic value and benefits of music for all people. We're dedicated to enhancing the lives of all clients through successful musical experiences that address specific needs with respect and dignity. Our music therapy services currently provide support and services to more than 500 clients weekly in a wide variety of settings including West Music studios, school systems, hospice, and private homes. Music Therapy Services available through us include one to one individual therapy, small group therapy (3-6 people), large group therapy (6-12 people), recreational music classes and adaptive music lessons.
For more information about our music therapy services, please contact Kelly Carlson, MA, MT-BC, Director of Music Therapy Services at West Music, at 563-940-9567.