By Brent Holl
Book and CD
Grades 4 - 8
These ensemble pieces for middle school general music and Orff classes include nine very different, but playable, pieces in a variety of styles. This book will stimulate your creativity and energize your music classes! The companion CD is included for your students to study and analyze as they learn to play their own versions of the songs.
Instruments used: soprano and alto glockenspiel; soprano, alto and bass xylophone; soprano, alto and bass metallophone; bass marimba; contra bass bars or contrabass xylophone; soprano and tenor recorders; hand drum; bass drum; roto toms; tambourine; gong; hanging cymbal; finger cymbals; triangle; wind chimes; cabasa; vibraslap; guiro; maracas; piccolo blocks; temple blocks; spoons.
- Tick Tock Shock: easy level - chaconne with humor; imitates the sound of a clock shop with a form like Pachelbel's Canon.
- Theme and Variations on a Theme of J.S. Bach: easy level - loosely based on the Brandenburg Concerto #3 (movements: Poke a Polka, Lento, Calliope, Humoresque).
- The Dream: intermediate level - the listener should imagine a music box being wound up before bedtime, to play soft music which transports us to a fantastic dream of a Caribbean island. As the dream fades away, so does the music until the music box finally winds down.
- Canon in Dorian: intermediate level - a canon in 2 and 4 parts with ostinato accompaniment.
- Round and Round: intermediate level - highlights the colors of the Orff instrumentarium, in rondo form.
- Cantique Exotique: intermediate level - a layered ostinato piece patterned after Indonesian gamelan music.
- Soldier's Joy: intermediate level - based on the Appalachian fiddle tune of the same name.
- Devil's Dream: advanced level - based on the familiar fiddle tune of the same name.
- Spinning Song: advanced level - this classic piano piece is transformed for Orff instruments, with the variety of tone color giving the piece a novel and exciting flavor.