Posted on July 08, 2016
Foundations of Mariachi Education Volume 1
Edited by William Gradante
Foundations of Mariachi Education: Materials, Methods, and Resources, the first book of its kind, is a comprehensive handbook on teaching mariachi in secondary school to music students of all levels. Beginning with how to start a mariachi program, each chapter addresses a specific topic in mariachi education, including choosing appropriate repertoire, preparing for performances, and teaching each mariachi instrument-including voice. Chapters focused on each individual instrument include practical advice on care of the instrument, tuning, posture, fingerings, technique, and the role of the instrument within the mariachi ensemble.
With dozens of music exercises distributed throughout the chapters, this resource shows you how to build your students' technical skills using mariachi repertoire so your students truly shine onstage. You'll also learn how to develop a district-wide program and use mariachi to support literacy goals. Whether you have experience teaching mariachi music or not, this book will guide you through each step of starting or developing a program, from changing an instrument string to buying trajes for your students to executing mariachi mánicos. This resource is a must-have for every music educator looking for ways to bring new energy to the music classroom.
1. Starting a Mariachi Program - Noe Sanchez
2. Starting the Year - Noe Sanchez
3. Choosing Appropriate Repertoire - Mark Foglequist
4. Preparing for a Performance - Sergio "Checo" Alonso
5. Teaching the Beginning Guitarron - John A. Vela
6. Teaching the Armonia Class: The Best Part of Your Day! - William Gradante
7. Teaching the Mariachi Violin Section - Mack Ruiz
8. Teaching Trumpet Technique to Mariachi Students - Noe Sanchez, Steve Carrillo and William Gradante
9. Teaching the Mariachi Harp - Sergio "Checo" Alonso
10. Teaching Vocal Technique to Mariachi Students - Noe Sanchez
11. Mariachi Education as a District Initiative: Development of the Clark County School District Program - Javier Trujillo and Marcia Neel
12. Mariachi Instruction in Support of Literacy - Richard Carranza
Appendix: Songs a Mariachi Student Should Know - compiled by the MENC National Mariachi Advisory Committee
No reviews available.
Posted on July 08, 2016
Posted on October 01, 2015
Posted on April 23, 2015
© 2017 West Music Company