From Rice Paddies and Temple Yards: Traditional Music of Vietnam
By Phong Thuyet Nguyen and Patricia Shehan Campbell
Book and CD
Game songs, love songs, boating songs, recited and sung poetry and instrumental music; Vietnamese history; photos; general intro to the music and instruments; 12 vocal and instrumental pieces with study guides for group use. Book & CD
For all ages (grade K to adult).
- Chapter 1: Historical and Cultural Background.
- Chapter 2: Vietnamese Musical Form and Instruments.
- Chapter 3: A Guide to the Music of Vietnam (Using the Lessons, Performance Style, Follow-up).
- Lesson 1: Hat Dum (group song, for grade K to 2).
- Lesson 2: Cum Num Cum Niu (Closing the Hands; for grade K to 4).
- Lesson 3: Cay Khan (Turning the Handkerchief; for grade K to 3).
- Lesson 4: Co La (Flying Egret; for grade 2 to adult).
- Lesson 5: Ly Chim Quyen (Song of the Nightingale; for grade 4 and up).
- Lesson 6: Qua Cau Gio Bay (The Wind on the Bridge; for grade 4 and up).
- Lesson 7: Do Doc Do Ngang (Boat Song; for grade 2 to adult).
- Lesson 8: Ly Tinh Tang (song with "Ting Tang" endings; for grade 6 and up).
- Lesson 9: Kim Tien (Golden Coin or Golden Fairy; for grade 4 and up).
- Lesson 10: Ly Ngua O (Song of the Black Horse; for grade 4 and up).
- Lesson 11: Voice of the Trong: The Drumming Tradition (for grade 2 and up).
- Lesson 12: Chinh Phu Ngam Khuc (The Song of the Soldier's Wife).