Orff Schulwerk Today
Nurturing Musical Expression and Understanding
By Jane Frazee
Book and CD
Almost a half-century of significant pedagogical contributions have propelled Orff Schulwerk to prominence on the North American music education landscape. Orff Schulwerk Today celebrates this playful, child-centered, participatory approach and offers a fresh synthesis of doing and understanding that encourages students to express themselves in - and realize themselves through - music.
Seven Orff Schulwerk master teachers share their classroom expertise and insights, enriching the text. Collections of American songs and rhymes augment materials from the Orff/Keetman volumes and supplements to address music and movement objectives. More than 100 lesson suggestions highlight musical elements and encourage self-expression.
A CD of listening examples from a variety of historical periods and cultural contexts enhances the book.
I. Your Heritage
1. Setting - Orff in the New World: Mid-20th century reform in American music education
II. Your Approach
2. Context - The Orff Classroom: A place of student discovery about music and about themselves
3. Materials - Stimulating the imagination with quality resources
III. Your Work
Knowing How: From Discovery to Mastery
Prelude: Nurturing skills
7. Playing Instruments
8. Playing Recorder
9. Reading and Writing
Knowing About: Skills in the Service of Understanding
Prelude: Nurturing understanding by linking skills to elements
10. Musical Elements in Orff Practice
16. Real World Applications
IV. Your Commitment
17. Outcomes - How do you know what they know?
V. Your Rewards
18. Professional Fulfillment - Advancing aesthetic responses in the young
No reviews available.
© 2017 West Music Company