Posted on July 08, 2016
You're The Boss!
Entrepreneurial Strategies for Music Therapists
By Cathy Knoll, MA, MT-BC and Dellinda Henry, MEd, MT-BC
57 page workbook with links to in-depth audio discussion
© 2014 ISBN 978-0-9617272-4-6
You’re the Boss! is an invaluable, newly-revised, practical guide that addresses every aspect of establishing a music therapy program, including private practice, self-employment, clinic, and consultative and contractual services. Participants work at their own pace - thinking through topics ranging from insurance to ethics, marketing to payment for services, scheduling to stress management, and designing an office to managing paperwork - as they basically develop their own business plan. You're the Boss is a popular self-study resource which includes numerous tips from experienced colleagues. It has been utilized by many dozens of music therapists over the years to establish their own successful programs and services. The professional study course includes a workbook, links to audio files, and the option for earning 20 hours of CMTE credit approved by CBMT for just $6.00 per CMTE credit.
Consider This: Consider the Pros & Cons of Self-Employment, Take a Personal Inventory, Take a Professional Inventory, Think It Through, Do You Have What It Takes?
Take the First Step: Explore Your Employment Options, Market Research, Agency Research Checklist, Locating Potential Customers, Locating Potential Contracting Agencies, Developing a Business/ Strategic Plan.
What About Money? Business Structure, Resources, Budget, Benefits, Bookkeeping, Taxes, Insurance, Funding, Factors in Setting Competitive Fees, Private Clients, Looking to the Future.
Attend to the Details: Organization, Equipment/ Materials/ & Supplies, Schedule, Policies & Procedures, Contracts.
Sell Your Services: Initial Marketing Plan, Marketing Tools, Using the Media, Developing Effective Proposals, Get Your Foot in the Door.
Set Up Your Office: Where to Locate Your Studio/ Office, Ambiance, Equipment, Supplies, Planning for the Future.
Dive In: Commitment to Quality Service, Effective Planning, Documentation, Evaluation of Music Therapy Services.
Take Care of Yourself: Well-Being, Balancing Priorities, Time, Stress, Getting Along with Difficult People.
Invest in Success: Public Relations & Job Development, Professional Growth, Networking, Diversify, Make Your Services Indispensable, Self-Motivation.
Guide for earning 20 CMTE Credits approved by CBMT.
1. Assess their professional strengths, weaknesses, priorities, and employment options (CBMT Scope of Practice 2010: IV. Professional Development and Responsibilities, A. Professional Development 1-9 and B. Professional Responsibilities 2 -17).
2. Determine financial requirements for self-employment (CBMT Scope of Practice 2010: IV. Professional Development and Responsibilities, B. Professional Responsibilities, 5, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14).
3. Develop a comprehensive business plan for a private practice, consultative services, or a music therapy clinic (CBMT Scope of Practice 2010: III. Ongoing Documentation and Evaluation of Treatment, A. Documentation 1, 2, 4. 6, 7 and IV. Professional Development and Responsibilities, A. Professional Development 1-9 and B. Professional Responsibilities 1-17).
4. Develop policies, procedures, marketing tools, schedules, and documentation necessary for a music therapist who is self-employed (CBMT Scope of Practice 2010: III. Ongoing Documentation and Evaluation of Treatment, A. Documentation 1, 2, 4. 6, 7 and IV. Professional Development and Responsibilities, A. Professional Development 1-9 and B. Professional Responsibilities 1-17).
5. Develop action plans for professional growth, crisis resolution, networking/peer counseling and problem solving for self-employed music therapists (CBMT Scope of Practice 2010: IV. Professional Development and Responsibilities, A. Professional Development 1-9 and B. Professional Responsibilities 1 -17).
Statement of relationship to CBMT:
You’re the Boss is approved by the Certification Board of Music Therapists (CBMT) for 20 Continuing Music Therapy Education credits (CMTE). Credits awarded by CBMT are accepted by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC). Music Works Publications, S-001, maintains responsibility for program quality and step-by-step instructions.
No reviews available.
Posted on July 08, 2016
Posted on October 01, 2015
Posted on April 23, 2015