The AKG P170 is a small-diaphragm condenser microphone for recording of overheads, percussion, acoustic guitars, and other strings. Its lightweight 1/2-inch true condenser transducer diaphragm delivers outstanding clarity and transient response. The P170 utilizes the experience of sound engineers from around the world and is considered an affordable alternative to the legendary AKG C451 B.
The P170 mic is a heavy-duty, rugged true condenser microphone built to the same strict quality standards as all other AKG products. Designed on the basis of AKG’s decades of knowhow and feedback from sound engineers around the world using AKG studio microphones every day, this general-purpose small-diaphragm microphone brings AKG studio quality to the worlds of recording, live sound, and broadcasting.
The AKG P170 features:
- Cardioid polar pattern: The mic is most sensitive to sounds arriving from in front of it while picking up much less of sounds arriving from the sides or rear (from monitor speakers or neighboring instruments). This makes the microphone equally suited for recording and onstage use.
- Gold-sputtered diaphragm: The diaphragm is made of a plastic foil that is gold-sputtered on one side only to prevent shorting to the back electrode even at extremely high sound pressure levels(SPL).
- All-metal body: The all-metal body adds to the rejection of RF interference so you can use the microphone near transmitter stations and along with wireless microphones or other communications equipment. The extremely rugged, heavy body and sturdy front grill protect the microphone from damage from tough handling on stage.
- High headroom, minimum distortion: Capable of handling sound pressure levels(SPL) up to 155 dB without introducing perceptible distortion and built to resist high temperatures and humidity, the microphone will give excellent results in a wide range of applications.
- Switchable preattenuation pad: The preattenuation switch (1) on the microphone rear lets you increase the headroom by 20 dB for distortion-free close-in recording. The preattenuation pad prevents the microphone's output level, particularly at low frequencies, from overloading the miniature transformers used in many mixer input stages, etc.
- Audio frequency bandwidth: 20 - 20000 Hz
- Equivalent noise level: 19 dB-A
- Sensitivity: 15 mV/Pa
- Signal to Noise: 75 dB-A
- Preattenuation Pad: -20 dB
- Electrical impedance: <= 200 Ohms
- Recommended load impedance: >=1000 Ohms
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Dimensions: Height 160 mm, Diameter 22 mm
- Net Weight: 130 g
- Audio Output Type: Balanced XLRM