Voice Builders for Better Choirs
By Emily Crocker
Edited by Janet Day and Linda Rann
Book and CD
Grades 4 - 8 and up
141 warm-ups and vocal exercises that will help singers produce a free and open tone, develop clean articulation and diction, improve resonance and intonation and more. Includes exercises for posture, breathing, vowels, flexibility, range, singing the consonant "R", choral blend, interval training, dynamics, fixing nasal tone and more. Teaching tips are given for most exercises; some also give variations.
The included CD features demonstrations for each exercise, for practice use with full choir, small group or individuals. Each exercise and piano accompaniment in the book references the appropriate CD track. Permission is granted to reproduce any of the exercises for educational use only. Many of the exercises can be learned by rote, but for more difficult 4-part warm-ups it can be helpful for each member to have a copy of the exercise.
- Preparation (#1-31) - Physical Warm-Ups, Posture, Breathing.
- Quality Sound (#32-61) - Vowels, Resonance, Tone.
- Expanding the Voice (#62-76) - Flexibility, Range.
- Pronunciation (#77-109) - Articulation, Singing the Consonant "R", Diction.
- Choral Singing (#110-117) - Intonation, Choral Blend.
- Problem Solving (#118-141) - Interval Training, Upward & Downward Leaps, Diphthongs, Dynamics, Bright vs. Dark Sound, Fixing Nasal Tone.