Voices of the Wind
Native American Flute Songs
By Bryan Burton and Maria Pondish Kreiter
Book and CD
11 authentic, traditional and contemporary Native American flute songs, arranged for the non-professional player. Bryan Burton has created a set of accessible transcriptions for classroom and home performance. Music educator Maria Pondish Krieter has supplemented the text with model lesson plans and suggestions for using the tunes as a springborade for studying phrase, rhythm, melodic elements, improvisation and interpretation.
These flute songs have been chose for their beauty and ease of play, then transcribed in keys that are appropriate for the student of recorder or flute, elementary grades and above. Included are love or courting songs, stomp dance, round dance, honoring and popular songs.
The book also includes:
- Reproducible flute scores
- Listening lessons with selections by R. Carlos Nakai and Robert Tree Cody
- Anecdotes and cultural background for each song
- Reproducible map showing where these songs originated
- Playing tips, typical ornaments and embellishments
- Lyrics for pieces that originally were sung with suggestions for appropriate accompaniment
- History of the traditional Native American flute
Notes Used: C, D, E, F, G, A, B, high C, high C#, high D, high E.
- Sunrise Song (Zuni Pueblo)
- Lakota Courting Song
- Kiowa Love Song
- Social Dance Song (Northeastern Intertribal)
- We Will Dance the Forty-niner
- O Hal'Lwe
- One-Eyed Ford (round dance)
- Stomp Dance Song
- Picture Song