Each grade level in the GAMEPLAN series includes 35 weeks of lesson plans for the elementary music specialist. The curriculum is organized chronologically through the school year from September to May with 4 lessons per month each with approximately 60 minutes of activities. GAMEPLAN organizes musical objectives in a logical progression that is educationally sound and developmentally appropriate. Lessons are presented in a concise format that is practical, easy to follow and user-friendly.
Each grade level includes:
- Lessons organized into a logical sequence
- Yearly plan categorizing objectives in 5 conceptual areas
- Experiences in imitation, exploration, improvisation and visualization
- Holiday and seasonal activities incorporated into the teaching sequence
- Activities that spark creativity and higher-level thinking skills
- Repertoire rich in folk literature, nursery rhymes and traditional singing games
- Four formal written assessments
- Seating chart template, including space for assessment
- Illustration of all of the charts and visuals used in each lesson
Also included with Grade 5 is Hot Tunes - a separate 22-page set of reproducible songs and activities for soprano recorder. It continues the study of soprano recorder from Grade Four with materials integrated through the year. The songs represent a logical progression of reviewing and introducing notes and fingerings, and the packet includes a fingering chart, worksheets, and a certificate of completion.
Rhythm Objectives: Demonstrate pulse, identify syncopation, demonstrate Question-Answer (body percussion/unpitched/barred instruments/recorder), experience mixed meter, 5/4, 7/8 and demonstrate conducting in 4.
Melody Objectives: Develop a repertoire of songs (folk/seasonal/multicultural/patriotic), review treble clef lines and spaces, experience BAGEDC'D'F#CF on soprano recorder, demonstrate Question-Answer on recorder and barred instruments (GM/em pentatonic), experience mixolydian and dorian melodies, and label countermelody and descant.
Harmony Objectives: Demonstrate proper mallet technique, experience canon/round, experience ostinato, distinguish between major/minor, label I-V, I-VII and I-IV-V, experience 2-part and 3-part recorder, demonstrate part singing and experience 3-part score reading.
Form Objectives: Demonstrate phrase, experience rondo, label 1st and 2nd endings, experience additive form and label Theme and Variations.
Timbre Objectives: Demonstrate musical expression through speaking, singing and moving, identify mezzoforte, identify orchestral families and explore found sounds.
The correlating Charts and Visuals are available separately (item 530321). The GAMEBOARD (item 550062) is a set of classroom visual and is companion to the GAMEPLAN curriculum.
Children's literature used in GAMEPLAN Grade 5:
- Grandfather Twilight (item 835732)
- The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything (item 835715)
- The children's books are available at a savings in a set, item 840250.
All of the musical examples used in this curriculum are listed on page X (10) of the Preface. Individual tracks can be purchased as available on iTunes.
The following recordings are available through West Music:
- Rhythmically Moving CD 3 (item 850845)
- Rhythmically Moving CD 6 (item 850858)
- Rhythmically Moving CD 9 (item 850851)
- Chimes of Dunkirk Book/CD (item 839920)
- Listen to the Mockingbird Book/CD (item 815521)
Click here for an October, 2019 statement from Jeff Kriske and Randy DeLelles, authors of the GAMEPLAN Curriculum.
Songs and Poems:
- A - E: 2 4 6 8, A Boy Named Sean, A Rondo for Instruments, All Mixed Up!, An Apple a Day, B-A-G Review, Bim Bam, The Birch Tree, The Boston Tea Party, Canon Exercises #3, Chick-a-li-lee-lo, Chick Chick Chatterman, Christmas Is Coming, Christmas Is Here, Concentration, Constructing a Melody, Creating a Sound Carpet, Cumberland Gap, Cup Game, Dis Solda La, The Elephant Carries a Great Big Trunk
- F - Q: "Five" for the Monkey, The Fly, Good Morning, Goodnight Ladies, Grandfather Twilight, Hasta Pronto, High D's Hot!, Hosisipa, I Eat My Peas with Honey, I'll Rise When the Rooster Crows, Instrumental Piece #40, Jolly Old St. Nicholas, The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything, Look Out!, Lucky Seven!, Mary, Mixed Fruit, Movement Charades, Old Man Mosey, Operator Operator, Out Goes the Rat, Performing a Rhythm in Movement, Pomme de Reinette, Praise the Fire, Puzzled Movement
- R - Z: Rattle on the Stovepipe, Rhythm Game, Rhythmic Exercises #8, Run For Your Life!, Sambalele, Sea Lion Woman, Skin and Bones, Spider Stew, St. Paddy's Movement Game, Take Me Out to the Ball Game, Thank You for the Christmas, This Little Light of Mine, To Stop the Train, Tom Dooley Descant, Two is Company, Welcome All, Welcome All Variations