Mark Burrows shares how, with little formal drumming training, he put together a drum circle program that reached hundreds of elementary students. This humorous "quick read" addresses everything from how to arrange the instruments and students to the basics of proper drumming to how to start a groove to how to have a drum circle without drums, as well as many topics in between.
As Mark writes, the purpose of drum circle is immediate - connect people through a shared musical experience that builds community while celebrating individuality. This resource will help you do just that, immediately and successfully!
- Dazed. Confused. Overwhelmed
- The Dreaded Disclaimer
- The World's Shortest Glossary
- The Accidental Drum CircleThe Power of the Drum Circle Experience
- Why a Circle?
- How to Circle
- First, Do No Harm: Some hand-drumming basics
- Putting on the Facilitator's Hat
- Sometimes They Just Need You to Listen
- Active Listening
- Getting in the Groove
- Mixing It Up: Keeping the groove from becoming a rut
- You Don't Have to Play It All: The art of leaving space
- Special Concerns
- Adding Spice to Your CircleDrum Circle Without Drums
- But What Are They Learning?!
- Expanding the Circle