Traditional Barn Dances with Calls & Fiddling
By Dudley and Jacqueline Laufman
Book and CD and DVD
For ages 5-adult
This comprehensive package contains everything you need for teaching 53 dances to participants of all ages and abilities. This collection replaces their previous White Mountain Reel and Sweets of May collections.The instructions are precise and detailed so that you don't need to know a circle dance from a square dance in order to teach your group how to perform the dances. Recommended ages of participants for each dance are listed.
- Easy-to-use book that features calls and directions for the dances. Calls are in large print for easy reading as you move about the room to help participants.
- Sheet music for the fiddle tunes. (add live music with the dancing!)
- Folklore, facts, and teaching suggestions for each dance
- A DVD that includes a video glossary showing the moves as well as walk-throughs and full demonstrations for selected dances
- Two CDs of music including tracks with calls and without calls for the dances including Virginia Reel, Portland Fancy, Paul Jones, Grand March, and more
This collection will help you build community-and skills-within your group. All will have a great time while taking part in an ongoing tradition of this resounding music and joyful dancing.
1. History of Traditional Barn Dance
2. Setting Up and Calling the Dances
3. Music and the Fiddle
4. Tips for Teachers
5. Circle Dances
6. Longways Dances
7. Square Dances
8. Dances in Other Formations
9. Contra Dances
10. Dances for Folks with Varying Abilities
11. How to Run a Community Barn Dance
A-F: Bear Went Over the Mountain, Big Circle, Breakdown Circle, Bridge of Athlone, Carding, Circle Dance, Circle Reel, Comin' Round the Mountain, Danse au Coin, Danse du Castor, Duke of York, Farandole, Fence Post, Four-Hand Reel
G-L: Grand Salute, Happy Polka, Holly Berry, Hunting the Fox, Jefferson and Liberty, Kerry Polka Set, La Contredanse, La Plongeuse, Le Papillon, Les Saluts, Little Sir Roger, Longways Reel, Low-Backed Car
M-Q: Marching Through Georgia, Nelly Bly, Over the Top, Paul Jones, Petit Demi-Carder, Plain Quadrille, Polka Contry, Pop Goes the Weasel, Pop Smith's Quadrille, Portland Fancy, Que de Loup (Wolf's Tail)
R-Z: Ribbon Dance, Seven Step Polka, Siege of Ennis, Simple Gifts, Sir Roger de Coverly, Sir Roger's Reel, Square Dance, Star the Ring, Sweets of May, Tambourine Dance, Virginia Reel (simple), Virginia Reel (with strip the willow), Wedding Reel, White Mountain Reel.