Alfred’s Premier Piano Course is an excellent choice for a comprehensive approach to piano instruction for beginner students. The series is comprised of a series of books:
• Lesson – Lesson books are the core of Alfred’s PPC. Lesson books introduce all the new musical concepts: note reading, rhythm and technique exercises, and sight-reading. Lesson books are available with CD to enhance the learning experience. The recordings provide examples at performance tempos as well as slower speeds for practice.
• Theory – The Theory books correlate page-by-page with the Lesson Books. They are an invaluable resource for the beginning students. Each new musical concept is reinforced with written exercises, listening exercises, composition, games, and puzzles.
• Performance – The Performance books provide skill-appropriate and exciting repertoire in a wide variety of styles.
• Technique – The Technique books contain exercises to help students achieve technical aptitude. Skills addressed in the Technique books include arm weight, finger weight and independence, strong fingertips, thumb position, and overall hand position.
Level 1A introduces students to quarter note rhythms by tapping on the closed keyboard. Short, 8-measure pieces are introduced using pre-staff reading with black key groups and white key groups. Easy, elementary level pieces on the staff end this level using only the key of C Major.
Contents of Christmas Level 1A:
- Away in a Manger
- Dance of the Reed Flutes (from The Nutcracker Suite)
- Go, Tell It on the Mountain
- Good King Wenceslas
- Jingle Bells
- Jolly Old Saint Nicholas
- Come, All Ye Faithful
- Come, Little Children
- Come, O Come Emmanuel
- Up on the Housetop
- We Three Kings of Orient Are