Music can be understood.
Music is a way to express yourself.
Music learning is enjoyable.
The above three statements form the core of Erik Whitehill's teaching and are at the heart of this resource designed to inspire joyful musical exploration and student engagement. Ideas for incorporating movement, listening, composing, playing, and more abound in classroom-tested warm-ups, big ideas, and closure and line activities that also offer ample opportunities for assessment. Adaptable to elementary children of all ages and ability levels, these activities are sure to have your students begging "Can We Do It Again?"
- Introduction & Acknowledgements
- Notes on Movement Activities
- Imitate and Improvise
- Seed Activity
- Sleep and Stomping Game
- Student Directors
- Spooky Forest
- Back to School Percussion Song
- Bologna Sandwich Game
- "Send Them Away" Game
- Locomotor Percussion Activity
- Sound Path Activity
- Messy Room Activity
- Percussion Improvisation Stories
- Program Music Composition Project
- Stick-tation Activity
Closure & Line Activities
- Music Teacher Hat Closure Activity
- Puppet Time Closure Activities
- Sharing Time Closure Activity
- Clapping Line Game
- Statues Line Game
- How to Access Your Digital Files