Each grade level in the GAMEPLAN series includes 35 weeks of lesson plans for the elementary music specialist. The curriculum is organized chronologically through the school year from September to May with 4 lessons per month each with approximately 60 minutes of activities. GAMEPLAN organizes musical objectives in a logical progression that is educationally sound and developmentally appropriate. Lessons are presented in a concise format that is practical, easy to follow and user-friendly.
Each grade level includes:
- Lessons organized into a logical sequence
- Yearly plan categorizing objectives in 5 conceptual areas
- Experiences in imitation, exploration, improvisation and visualization
- Holiday and seasonal activities incorporated into the teaching sequence
- Activities that spark creativity and higher-level thinking skills
- Repertoire rich in folk literature, nursery rhymes and traditional singing games
- Four formal written assessments
- Seating chart template, including space for assessment
- Illustration of all of the charts and visuals used in each lesson
Grade 4 includes Cool Tunes - a set of 22 reproducible pages for students that introduce the soprano recorder with songs and activities integrated throughout the year. The songs represent a logical progression of introducing notes and fingerings. The packet includes a fingering chart, worksheets, and a certificate of completion. Recorder note progression: B A G E D C'
Rhythm Objectives: Demonstrate pulse, identify syncopation, demonstrate Question-Answer (body percussion/unpitched/barred instruments/recorder), label eighth rest, experience accelerando/ritardando, label pick-up (anacrusis), visualize 6/8, demonstrate conducting in 3 and identify triplet.
Melody Objectives: Develop a repertoire of songs (folk/seasonal/multicultural/patriotic), review treble clef lines and spaces, experience BAGEDC' on soprano recorder, demonstrate Question-Answer on recorder (GM/em pentatonic), experience countermelody, identify Ti, identify ledger lines, experience scale and label sharp/flat.
Harmony Objectives: Demonstrate proper mallet technique, experience canon/round, experience ostinato, demonstrate simple bordun (level), distinguish between major/minor, demonstrate moving bordun and experience I-V.
Form Objectives: Demonstrate phrase, experience rondo, identify A', label D. C. al Fine, experience additive form and experience 12-bar blues.
Timbre Objectives: Identify recorder family, identify orchestral woodwind family, identify orchestral brass family and identify pianissimo/fortissimo.
The set of Charts & Visuals (item 530284) that correlates with the curriculum book is available separately. The GAMEBOARD (item 550062) is a set of classroom visuals that is a companion to the GAMEPLAN curriculum.
Children's literature used in GAMEPLAN Grade 4:
- Follow the Drinking Gourd (item 820537)
- The Napping House (item 835986)
- Possum Come a-Knockin' (item 835957)
- The children's books are available at a savings in a set (item 840249).
All the musical examples used in this curriculum are listed on page X (10) of the Preface. Individual tracks can be purchased as available on iTunes.
The following recordings, listed on page X, are available from West Music:
- Rhythmically Moving CD 2 (item 850844)
- Rhythmically Moving CD 4 (item 850846)
- Rhythmically Moving CD 8 (item 850850)
- Contrast and Continuum Vol. 4 (item 850222)
- Chimes of Dunkirk Book/CD (item 839920)
- Listen to the Mockingbird Book/CD (item 815521)
Click here for an October, 2019 statement from Jeff Kriske and Randy DeLelles, authors of the GAMEPLAN Curriculum.
Songs and Poems:
- A - G: A' My Name Is, Alabama Gal, The Blacksmith, The Bridge of Athlone, Bubble Gum Bubble Gum, Chipper Chopper Joe, Christmas Bells, Creating Haiku, Ding Dong Diggidiggidong, Do It Well!, Doctor Bell, Early to Bed, Exploring Pulse, Follow the Drinking Gourd, Four White Horses, French Song, Get Down, Get Up Get Up
- H - O: Hi! High C, H-O-L-I-D-A-Y-S!, Hot Cross Buns, How 'bout a Pie?, I'll Play a Question, I Want to Rise, It's in the B-A-G!, Jump!, Listen, Little Train, Lost My Gold Ring, Lullaby, Name Game, The Napping House, No One in the House, Now Let Me Fly, Oh, It Ain't Gonna Rain, Old MacDonald, Old Tom White, One on One, Only in October, Over the River and Through the Wood
- P - Z: Patty Cake Switch, Peter Piper, Poison Game, Possum Come A-Knockin', Queen Queen Caroline, The Radio Game, Rain Rain, Rhythmic Canons I #7, Rhythmic Dictation Game, Rhythmic Rondos Exercise #3, Rhythmic Dictation Game, Roll the Chariot, Roses are Red, Sagidi Sapopo, Sally in the Kitchen, Sansa Kroma, Scales are a Breeze, Shades of Blue, Shake the Papaya Down, Shout Little Lulu, Snow Day, The Staff Has Five, There Will Be Weather, This is a Piece for Drums, Tom Dooley, Ton Moulin, Whoops!, Yangtze Boat Song