This book with online access to videos is the ideal text to be used in functional guitar courses for music therapy and music education majors as well as anyone interested in learning the basics of guitar playing quickly. The text is designed to assist the student in developing their functional guitar skills in a fun and easy to follow format and can be used in both the classroom and for individual self study.
The text and accompanying exercises begin with the very basics of guitar playing and expand into more challenging material as the reader progresses through the chapters.
Topics covered include:
- basic and advanced strumming patterns,
- barre and power chords
- authentic stylistic accompaniment in styles such as the Blues, Jazz, Rock and R & B.
In addition to functional guitar skills, music therapy/improvisational applications are also discussed and demonstrated through modifications including alternate tunings and the use of slide guitar.
- Chapter I: The Basics
- Chapter II: I know C, A, G, E, and D...now what?
- Chapter III: Fingerpicking
- Chapter IV: Flatpicking
- Chapter V: Barre Chords
- Chapter VI: Power Chords...Are you ready to rock?
- Chapter VII: The Blues
- Chapter VIII: Music Therapy Techniques
- Chapter IX: Jazz Guitar
- Chapter X: Funk Guitar
- Chapter XI: Guitar Maintenance