Alfred’s Premier Piano Course is an excellent choice for a comprehensive approach to piano instruction for beginner students. The series is comprised of a series of books:
• Lesson – Lesson books are the core of Alfred’s PPC. Lesson books introduce all the new musical concepts: note reading, rhythm and technique exercises, and sight-reading. Lesson books are available with CD to enhance the learning experience. The recordings provide examples at performance tempos as well as slower speeds for practice.
• Theory – The Theory books correlate page-by-page with the Lesson Books. They are an invaluable resource for the beginning students. Each new musical concept is reinforced with written exercises, listening exercises, composition, games, and puzzles.
• Performance – The Performance books provide skill-appropriate and exciting repertoire in a wide variety of styles.
• Technique – The Technique books contain exercises to help students achieve technical aptitude. Skills addressed in the Technique books include arm weight, finger weight and independence, strong fingertips, thumb position, and overall hand position.
Level 1B begins with a review of concepts learned in level 1A. Students are then introduces to more musical concepts including ties, legato playing, staccato playing, sharps and flats, and small intervals.
Contents of Christmas Level 1B:
- Angels We Have Heard on High
- Coventry Carol
- Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy (from The Nutcracker Suite)
- Deck the Halls
- God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
- It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
- Jingle Bells
- Russian Dance (Trepak) (from The Nutcracker Suite)
- Silent Night