Alfred’s Premier Piano Course is an excellent choice for a comprehensive approach to piano instruction for beginner students. The series is comprised of a series of books:
• Lesson – Lesson books are the core of Alfred’s PPC. Lesson books introduce all the new musical concepts: note reading, rhythm and technique exercises, and sight-reading. Lesson books are available with CD to enhance the learning experience. The recordings provide examples at performance tempos as well as slower speeds for practice.
• Theory – The Theory books correlate page-by-page with the Lesson Books. They are an invaluable resource for the beginning students. Each new musical concept is reinforced with written exercises, listening exercises, composition, games, and puzzles.
• Performance – The Performance books provide skill-appropriate and exciting repertoire in a wide variety of styles.
• Technique – The Technique books contain exercises to help students achieve technical aptitude. Skills addressed in the Technique books include arm weight, finger weight and independence, strong fingertips, thumb position, and overall hand position.
Level 5 introduces students to Baroque and Classical repertoire. Students continue to develop rhythmic skills using exercises and pieces that incorporate sixteenth notes as well as pieces in 3/8 and 6/8 time. Other musical concepts introduced in level 5 include more major and minor scales, augmented triads, and grace notes.
Contents of Level 5 Christmas:
- Angels We Have Heard on High
- Auld Lang Syne
- Gesu Bambino (The Infant Jesus)
- It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
- Jingle Bells
- Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
- March (from The Nutcracker)
- Christmas Tree
- What Child Is This?